Established in 1956, this department has seen phenomenal growth in its activities over the last four decades. This has been duly recognized by the University Grants Commission in conferring successively the status of:
1. Department with Special Assistance (1973-87)
2. Department with COSIP Programme (1983-88)
3. Center of Advanced Studies (SAP) (1987- 2003)
4. Department with COSIST Programme (1991-96)
Under the FIST Programme of the DST, the Department received Rs. 1.3 crores (2001-2005).
The facilities currently available with this Department are largely a result of more than Rs. 5 Crores of support received through this recognition.
During 1973-82, the Department received recognition and generous grant (over Rs.2 crores) from the UNESCO through the United Nations Development Programme.
The Department tops the list of the Earth Science Departments of all the Universities in the country in , average scientific impact factor analysis carried out by the Government of India in 1999-2000.
Led by a team of 29 Faculty members, whose specialization covers all branches of Earth Sciences, this
Department has, over the years, produced top international-quality research and thoroughly motivated students, who occupy important positions in Indian Universities and research institutions, Government and Private sector enterprises and also in foreign universities and research institutions.
Truly this Department has moved from one pillar of strength to another through excellence in teaching and research.
In addition to our Central Library of the University, the Departmental Library possesses an excellent collection of about 1000 text books and a good number of journals and periodicals covering all branches of Geological Sciences.