|Date of Establishment:||24/12/1955|
|Status of the University:||State University|
|Type of University:||Unitary|
|Centres of Study||40|
Academic programmes offered by the university
|Any other (please specify)||3 (DSc, D.Litt etc)|
Recognition as a university by UGC or any Other National Agency:
The university has been recognized by UGC (2f - 11.09.1955) as a University with Potential for Excellence.
Also recognized by:
Also recognized by:
- All India Council for Technical Education
- Council of Architecture
- National Council for Teacher Education
- Indira Gandhi National Open University
- Jadavpur University recently celebrated a decade as a SYLFF institution.
- Jadavpur University was ranked 47th in the Times Higher Education-Thomson Reuters list of the 100 best universities in the BRICS and Emerging Economies, 2013.
- University Ranking by Academic Performance (URAP) Research Laboratory, an overseas outfit, has ranked Jadavpur University 10th in India in its 2012-13 report considering academic indicators.
- National Institute of Science, Technology and Development Studies (NISTADS) of CSIR ranked Jadavpur University 4th among the top 50 Universities of the country based on h-index of publication.
Location of the Campus and Area:
|Location||Campus area in acres||Built up area in sq. mts.|
|Main campus area||188 Raja Subodh Chandra Mallik Road, Jadavpur||67.6 acres (including 7.6 acres of new campus area)||2,45,000 sq. m.|
|Second Campus area||PL-8, BL-LB, Sec-III Salt Lake City Kolkata-700098||21.3 acres|
|The erstwhile NIL campus||1/1 Raja S.C. Mallik Road, Kolkata- 32||7.6 Acres|
- K.P. Basu Memorial Hall
- Vivekananda Hall
- Anita Banerjee Memorial Hall
- Gandhi Bhavan
- Open Air Theatre
Note: The H.L. Roy Auditorium and the Triguna Sen Auditorium, located on campus, and available for university events, are maintained by the Institute of Chemical Engineers and Alumni Association respectively. In addition, most departments have their own auditoria/seminar halls, which are available for use by other departments/schools as well.
- Indoor Stadium (in process of complete renovation)
- Outdoor Stadium (Salt Lake Campus)
- Badminton Court
- Tennis Court
- There are six University canteens on the main campus. Additionally the university has an Amenities Center, and the University Guest House Cafeteria is open to faculty members and staff
- Health centre
- Facilities like banking, post office, book shops etc
- Facilities for persons with disabilities
- Total number of boys hostels: 9
- Number of boarders: 1,190
- Number of Girls hostels: 4
- Total number of boarders: 485
Summary of IT facilities available through JU network